|The Family Business|
* * *
More than a series of engaging anecdotes, The Family Business gives readers a glimpse into the real world of the private investigator, and how that profession's stresses can bear on family life. Funny, poignant, and informative, it taps into the bottomless curiosity readers and viewers have about the hidden aspects of life — both criminal and domestic.
This memoir tells the story of a multi-generational private investigation agency, founded by Phillip DiNatale, a former Boston police detective who was chosen to be one of four investigators tasked with catching the Boston Strangler.
There are revelations of some of the most interesting cases this family team has worked on over the past forty years — from cheating husbands and wives, to rape accusations, the theft of a Stradivarius violin and a Louis the XIV desk, large-scale gray-marketeering, missing children (including the son of an African dictator), wiretapping, and some widely publicized industrial accidents on Boston's "Big Dig."
The Family Business offers a look beneath the surface of city life, into the minds of those who break the law — from murderers and rapists, to welfare cheats and petty thieves as well as insight into families troubled by divorce, addiction, and secrets.
* * *
To view the book trailer, please click on the image below:
If you would like to purchase the book directly from this site,
you can simply click on the "Buy Now" button below.
During checkout, you can also ask let us know whether you would like John to sign your copy.
Authors John DiNatale & Roland Merullo John reading an excerpt from the Book
John P. DiNatale began his apprenticeship with his father in his late teens accompanying him on surveillances and investigations, taking notes during interviews of criminal defendants, penning witness statements and ultimately learning the art of investigation through practical experience.
He is a charter member of the Licensed Private Detectives Association of Massachusetts, has served on that organization's Board of Directors for five years, and was President from 1994-95.
The producers of a new Podcast, Boston Strangler, have conducted a series of in depth interviews with John. The podcast will begin airing in November 2016.
DiNatale has lectured and offered presentations at several law schools and legal conferences. He has been a featured guest on numerous local and network television and radio programs and has signed a consulting contract with Warner Brothers pictures to assist in the development of a film on the Boston Strangler. His articles have appeared in Lawyers Weekly, the Journal of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys and other publications
- Emmanuel College - Boston, Massachusetts
- Montclair BookClub - Montclair, New Jersey
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Westwood Public Library - Westwood, MA
-Dennis Public Library - Dennis, Massachusetts
- Newtonville Books - Newton Center, MA
- Barrington Library - Barrington, Rhode Island
- Dracut Library - Dracut, Massachusetts
- Needham Bank - Wellesley, MA Branch
- Georgetown Library - Georgetown, Massachusetts
- Reading Library - Reading, Massachusetts
- Grub Street Muse and Marketplace Convention
- New England Mobile Book Fair - Newton, MA
- Waterstone at Wellesley Senior Living Center
- Peabody Library - Peabody, Massachusetts
- Family Business Association
- Arlington Library - Arlington, Massachusetts
- Amherst Library - Amherst, New Hampshire
- Needham Bank - Ashland Branch
- Quincy Library - Quicny, Massachusetts
- Newburyport Book Club - Newburyport, MA
- Pioneer Institute of Boston
- Billerica Library - Billerica, Massachusetts
- Salem State University Explorers Club
(additional info can be found on the News & Media Page)